Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you?

Burnt into my memory with only a handful of days is September 11th... or more correctly 911. I was at work and someone must have heard about a plane crash in New York and turned on the only TV which was a small 13" in the conference room of our ad agency. We all watched in horror as we discovered it hit the World Trade Center and then as some of us continued to watch, we actually saw the next plane hit. I remember crying at work, unable to stop the steady stream of tears even though I did not know anyone there. Shortly after, we learn of the Pentagon and the plane crash in Pennsylvania.

I worked with my dad and we watched together and as I watched him watch the coverage I felt such awe and admiration for him. He was telling us younger crowd how this will affect our lives for the rest of our lives. He was right. He is a history buff and also had been drafted into the Vietnam War when I was very small. He was a lucky one and got stationed at the Pentagon. As it turns out, his office was not far at all from the area that was hit and he told me that he may have even been affected by the blast if it had happened while he served.

While I had work to do that day, we all were constantly in that room checking on the reports. I did watch it for about 2 hours at the beginning and still remember Matt Lauer and Katie Couric reporting tearfully and the others from the Today Show.

I often think of the people who lost their lives that day and their loved ones that lived. Children who died, parents, friends co-workers, neighbors. I wonder how their lives are now, nine years later. How hero's were made that day. How we all were rudely reminded that the US is very much a hated country by many and how they despise our way of life. How lucky we all are that there are men and women who defend that way of life. I salute the defenders and am thankful to them and the hero's. I thank them for their service. I certainly have a more solemn and serious feeling yet am proud when I hear the national anthem and the pledge of allegiance now. I think we all became patriotic after that faithful day. Do you remember the terrorist threat levels that was always on the Nightly News... red, yellow, orange... and how all the news casts showed Smalltown, USA with all the flags and banners for months after, even years. It does seem the patriotism has waned some. I hope and pray we all won't get that jolt again.

Remember. Never forget.

God Bless America.

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember well. When I heard about the towers, I was driving to the place where I worked then. My two little boys in the back seat of the car. When I got there, the t.v. was showing all that I had heard - it was just so unbelievable. For the next month's, our Country was full of fear with all of the crazy threats. Remember the anthrax scare in our mail system? That really freaked me out! Throughout that time, I was dealing with Doctors for what they thought was a hyperthyroid. I had to stop nursing my little one, who was only 7 months old at the time. We were in the process of looking to buy our home that we are now in. It was such a chaotic, fearful, anxious time for me...all of it. And to think, that was nine years ago, now. Seems like time stood still for a few years.

    I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thoughtful post. I was getting ready for a dentist appointment and the office called to say they would be closing for the day. I asked why and they said "just turn on your TV"! I live near one of the largest Naval Air Stations in the country and close enough to DFW Airport (also one of the largest in the country). It was so bizarre to have complete quiet....no planes....no activity at all! The whole Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex stopped! I was too stunned to cry on 9/11, but soon after, my beloved cat, Leo, died and I cried for him and all the people of 9/11....overwhelmed and sobbing for days! I hope to one day visit Ground Zero and offer prays for all the brave responders, tragic victims, and families who lost so much that fateful day. We should never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very moving tribute, Jaime. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and remembrances. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi..i was working to at the time at a preschool. i was so scared i truly thought the world was coming to an end...i left and took my kids home and watched all the footage...its so sad....by the way that post you gave me wasnt corny...thanks..good luck with getting ready for your show..i thought of you today while im getting ready for mine..looking at my work space i thought we should do a post on where real women create....that have no money..ha ha..i will take a picture so you can see how i compromise...its a mess maybe someone will see it and give me money to fix..yeah right..

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you are wanting to comment but please know that I have moved my current blog (this is the old host). You can now find me at www.jaimehaney.com/blog and leave a comment there. This very same post is on there, as I have picked up the whole kit and kaboodle and moved it. I hope to see you! Please come by and say howdy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Join the Spooky Fun!