Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Frida... A Great Movie and artist


Last night I watched for the first time Frida, "A biography of artist Frida Kahlo, who channeled the pain of a crippling injury and her tempestuous marriage into her work". 




I was not familiar with her work and am now a fan. That woman went through tremendous pain, emotionally and physically. The film itself is visually stunning with bright colors, paintings, thoughts and visions illustrated beautifully throughout the movie.  I just adore Frida's costumes through the whole thing, such bright and vivid fabrics and gorgeous prints not to mention the most romantic looking underthings and gowns.









Salma Hayek did such a wonderful job with this role. I truly felt the thoughts and emotions of her and was moved to tears quite a few times. If you haven't seen this movie yet, I highly recommend it. It is a biography and more so a love story.


Salma Hayek as Frida



post signature

8 comments:

  1. This was such an awesome movie and I loved Salma in it.

    I think Frida did an amazing job translating her pain into her art.

    Madonna has done a lot to bring her to the fore front of the art world, she is a big Kahlo fan.

    Have a lovely day, Jaime, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi T, I did not know that about Madonna. I've always liked her. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the wonderfulness that is Frida! :) Happy to hear that you enjoyed the film and have become a fan of Frida's incredible work. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this movie too. I've seen it a few times. Frida's work is so honest,colorful & free. Not everyone is brave enough to truly put their lives on the canvas like she did. The story goes that Salma fought & fought to get this movie made. I'm so glad she did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed that movie also... Salma Hayek did an amazing job (even my husband liked it & we don't always agree on movies hee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I guess we live under a rock. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Had not heard of this artist or the movie....going to take my paws on over to NetFlix and add this to the list - it sounds wonderfully inspiring and realistically portrayed.

    "Her" and Romeo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not seen the movie but have had it reccomended to me several times. I LOVE Frida's work and her story makes it all the more moving.
    Barbara Kingsolver's most recent book "The Lacuna" features her story as a side plot, and I learned a lot more about her and Mexico through it.
    It's ironic that you posted this- my next painting is based on her- my pre-lim sketches are right here beside me:) because the theme this week at IA is Mexico, and of course, Frida was the first thing that popped into my head.....!

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you are wanting to comment but please know that I have moved my current blog (this is the old host). You can now find me at www.jaimehaney.com/blog and leave a comment there. This very same post is on there, as I have picked up the whole kit and kaboodle and moved it. I hope to see you! Please come by and say howdy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Join the Spooky Fun!