Friday, July 27, 2012

Dehydrating Tomatoes!


It all starts with a whole lot of cherry tomatoes and not enough people in the house to eat them :)  In all honesty, I'm the only one who eats them : /


Washed, dried and sliced in half, they get arranged on a borrowed dehydrator. (Thanks Amelia!)


Layer after layer...


5 layers in all


In to the dry sauna they all go!


So here's what they look like and there is still 4 hours left to dehydrate! 22 hours in all! I don't know if a bigger dehydrator would be quicker or not but if I like these, I'll need to investigate that. I had a recommendation from a friend of an Excalibur brand with like 9 trays.


9 trays would have been better because this is what was leftover. Apparently I need a bigger dehydrator considering this is just one picking from three different plants. Hmmm... we'll see. It takes a horribly long time and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them all. I got this idea from a friend who is a crafting, baking and writing guru named Lynda Heines over at Bloom Bake & Create. Lynda's got all kinds of creative ideas to check out.


If anyone has experience with dehydrating, I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions you have.


Enjoy your Friday!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Jaime, Looking good! Thanks for the mention too.

    It does take a long time. Ours will be done today and then I'll package them all up to enjoy this winter. I can't wait to hear what you think of them after they are done. Taste like candy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dehydrator with 6 trays and do the same as you are doing. I also grow the same tomatoes and today made tomato chutney, also dry them, and freezing whole works great. They don't freeze together and when you need some for soups, stews, sauces, etc., you just pull out what you need and run them under water and the skin comes right off. I do this every year. works great. Glad to see you doing this. Take care. Oh I mailed you a letter a few days ago. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering at the sight of these homegrown tomatoes!! I have no experience of drying tomatoes but I can imagine how delicious they would be.

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you are wanting to comment but please know that I have moved my current blog (this is the old host). You can now find me at www.jaimehaney.com/blog and leave a comment there. This very same post is on there, as I have picked up the whole kit and kaboodle and moved it. I hope to see you! Please come by and say howdy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Join the Spooky Fun!