Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mother Nature loosens her grip...



Whew! Mother Nature finally loosened her death grip on my little spot in the world just this afternoon. With a wall of wind and welcomed clouds She ushered in at first wind with bits of rain. All the creatures as well as us humans sighed a breath of relief. With record high temperatures up until today the cooler temps now are dare I say it... pleasant. Lightning flashing and thunder rolling is what is happening now but what a welcome sound. I'm a bit leery with the lightning and hoping it doesn't spark anything with the very dry conditions and crispy fields and grasses. We've been in what The Weather Channel called "The ring of fire" and man have we felt it! 

see the clouds and the flying crane?
I'm hoping my plants can bounce back. Plants and flowers that are normally sun loving or even heat and drought tolerant are struggling to stay alive with this heat. We've just seen 108˚ yesterday with the heat indexes higher. It's normally in the lower 90's and humid here this time of year. Dry and crispy grass will probably need to be reseeded in the fall. No sense in doing it now. You'd just be wasting precious water. You should also never try to feed your plants when there are such extreme conditions. They are doing all they can just to survive, so don't try to make them grow on top of it by applying fertilizer.

Such sad caladiums... extreme heat and drought stunted them even though I watered them everyday.
See compared to last year's? This is from 2011
Ahhh... I can hear it now. A steady stream of rain has come. Washing all the parched leaves, grass and walks to a wet shiny newness. Crickets and frogs are singing in unison... hooray! Drink it in! Even though it may just flow over the cracked earth, it will fill up the creeks and lakes once again. Our lake is down at least by 6 feet. The worst I've seen it since we've lived here. Fill 'er up, please.

Wishing you relief soon!

Oh and here's a P.S.
I've had the opportunity and honor to be a feature on a website named PocketChange.become.com and I wanted to share it with you. Why don't you check it out? There's tips on everything, pets, being green, fashion, links to other great sites and something for everyone! Click here to see my feature.

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Drought is never good, but how I long for some sun right now. I have always loved thunder and lightening though. But the cold...I will give that away in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, I hope your plants recover, it sounds like the heat has been awful. Hope the rain helped. Crazy weather, it has been really cool and wet here in the Pacific NW and then it started to get really nice, a total shock to our systems.

    It is really exciting seeing your studio come together :)

    Have a lovely evening, cheers, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This summer has been like nothing I've ever seen! We didn't reach 108, but we had two days in a row at 106 followed by upper 90's for a week and like your area, the heat indexes were much higher! I haven't lost lot of plants but more than I'm happy about....and again like you, watering every day! We're being treated now to temps in the mid 80's and yes, rain, sweet blessed rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a freaky summer....either it's perfect or its all fire and brimstone! LOL Congrats on your feature - it's well deserved!

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you are wanting to comment but please know that I have moved my current blog (this is the old host). You can now find me at www.jaimehaney.com/blog and leave a comment there. This very same post is on there, as I have picked up the whole kit and kaboodle and moved it. I hope to see you! Please come by and say howdy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Join the Spooky Fun!