Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Watermelon Wednesday


Fresh from the garden watermelon here! Get yer watermelon here!



Yummmmmm...


Doesn't this look refreshing and yummy?! That's because it is! Ha ha... sorry to rub it in. I just cut up this watermelon today for dinner. (dinner is lunch for those who aren't country, and supper is what you eat at night) It is soooo tasty and refreshing on this hot, hot day. It is only 97 degrees out there but the heat index is 108 and there is an excessive heat warning for our area. So today we are inside til this evening at least and I don't think it'll cool off much then either. 

Everything is wilted out there... poor flowers. Here's a tip, if your flowers are wilted and you know that you just watered them DON'T water them again. It's the plant's vascular system's fault. Basically the plant cannot get water circulating up to the leaves fast enough from the moisture evaporating from it's leaves. Hopefully it will bounce back in the cooler hours but if you keep watering chances are you'll drown the plant and make the roots rot. Not good, root rot = dead plant.

I think watermelon is one of those elusive flavors that the food people/scientists cannot recreate correctly. Oh, they've got sweet watermelonly smells but it really doesn't even come close to the real thing. Don't get me wrong I love watermelon gum and enjoy looking silly sucking on a watermelon ring pop, a real blast from my past memory for me that I'll share another time.



Next year's bounty :)

Stay cool and try a watermelon to stay hydrated and refreshed. Go ahead and spit those seeds... how far can you get?
post signature

8 comments:

  1. Yum! Watermelon is is the best, and good for you too, how can you beat that!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. o m goodness!! that's mouth-watering!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is YUM!!!!! It looks so good, you are an awesome gardener. At least you are having a summer, we have not had much sun or warmth ...very odd summer for southern california. Your photo is so clear, its like I could take a big ol' bite!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just finished off a "store bought" melon and it just isn't the same! I'm envious! Great photos! YUMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, these pics are absolutely mouthwatering!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these pics,, makes me want to go to the market right now.
    Hey Thanks for visiting my blog
    I use the night setting a lot on my camera and program.
    Thanks so much for the comments
    I love them

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE watermelon!!!

    Sunday Greets,
    SpOOky CK >:-)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh at your comment the other day.
    A friend of ours insists he saw a ghost here, when he was a boy. Other then some major coincidences between us and the previous owners.. nothing unusual has been 'seen' ;0)

    I need some watermelon now. You have a special gardening touch. Just yummy!
    Have a great day, Lynea

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you are wanting to comment but please know that I have moved my current blog (this is the old host). You can now find me at www.jaimehaney.com/blog and leave a comment there. This very same post is on there, as I have picked up the whole kit and kaboodle and moved it. I hope to see you! Please come by and say howdy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Join the Spooky Fun!