Friday, August 26, 2011

Paint Party Week 24



Welcome to my entry for Paint Party week 24. I am later than normal and my painting isn't finished, but I've made it! I call this Water for Elephant and I've created it today as I've watched Hurricane Irene make her way up the east coast. It is in my new media craze... metallic acrylic paints and now Jacquard Pearl Ex.

I am watching Nightly News and have heard New York City is now under a hurricane warning. That is just crazy talk! This week has been a natural disaster week. The earthquake, which we felt here in Indiana and now the hurricane which looks like it will affect a lot of people, no doubt. I feel for those people, how will they all evacuate? I hope the devastation is minimal and pray for the people in it's path. Most destruction and lives lost is from flooding though, I've always heard. So as the coming hours bring fear, let's pray a miracle happens and Irene breaks away and heads east to the Atlantic. I have many blogging friends on the east coast and my prayers are with you all.

Water for elephant - India ink on gesso, work in progress
Water for elephant - adding metallic paint
close up
see the shimmer from the metallic paint?
This painting created itself pretty much. I started out thinking zetangle with my paint brush loaded up with india ink. But then it started to show me an elephant and then a waterfall and all the other hidden images. Maybe I was inspired a bit by my son's book of I Spy. Have you seen those books? I think I am addicted to them. :)

Of course the colors in the photo are not as brilliant as the original, too much sunlight on the painting when I took the picture. I am not sure about the red face in front. I've already bumped it up to a darker red and now I'm thinking it's taking the center of attention too much. It's not finished yet, so I'll post the finished piece later.

See all the fantastic work from Paint Party Friday. Have a great weekend!
post signature

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime, I really love this painting!! I actually quite like the red in there, it does draw your eye to it but I really like that!!! So much going on in this one very cool indeed! My sister just flew to New York I didn't realise they were on hurricane watch too :0( hope it changes course I shall be watching the news. Take care xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is fantastic!!! I love the metallic paints too! And how fun that you just let the painting sort of paint itself!!! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your painting is beautiful, Jaime. Thanks for sharing it. The hurricane is expected to last in Connecticut for several hours after it leaves New York. We're ready for it. Tomorrow will be "remove potential projectiles" from the yard day. We have oil candles, food, batteries and lots of water. And my cell phone is fully charged. Thanks for your kind thoughts for all of us here on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fascinating piece - a giant zentangle on canvas - painted - Great idea! It is looking beautiful so far!!

    Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH ha that word zentangle again. I really have to check this out. l like what you have done so far and look forward to the finished painting

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful!!--I'm glad that you let that elephant come out--he's my favorite part. I cannot wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have created a wild and wonderful zentangle. Bet it just glows with the metallic paints. Great. It's hard to believe you felt the earthquake that far west. As you know, we are now waiting for that hurricane in Virginia. It's been a strange week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool, I've been wanting to do a zentacle- I am fascinated by them! I love the way this painting came about, kind of telling you what it wanted to be- sounds kind of meditative. I've been trying to paint like that more and more....And yes, I LOVED the I Spy books, my kids and I spent many happy hours with them :)
    VERY cool work, my sistah!
    xo
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool, I wish the pictures could show metalic better! I'd love to see the shine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is great. It's amazing how the different elements became so much more visible after you added color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the abstract and realistic mix...the colors are popping perfect too! Happy PPF! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome ~ Love your artwork and art style! thanks, namaste, Carol ^_^

    and thanks for your prayers ~ much appreciated ~ MA is suppose get a Tropical Storm with winds and rain ~ hope it fizzles into the ocean too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow wonderful colourful doodles. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this kind of image! So much fun to look at. So interactive, really. I'll be back to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh - I love the look of the india ink... and I think the images you are discovering are wonderful... So much fun so far - I look forward to seeing it finished!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how this is turning out so far. I keep hearing about these zentangles but I really like that you took this further and added the colour. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh love this Jaime.. love zentangles.. all the images are great.. think the red is great.. draws you right to it... never thot to do one on a canvas.. wish we could see the metallic shine.. can hardly wait to see it finished..
    Kath
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you are wanting to comment but please know that I have moved my current blog (this is the old host). You can now find me at www.jaimehaney.com/blog and leave a comment there. This very same post is on there, as I have picked up the whole kit and kaboodle and moved it. I hope to see you! Please come by and say howdy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Join the Spooky Fun!