Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Butterflies and snow


Hi everyone, it's been a week since I posted. I've been busy getting ready for an arts and craft show that I'll be in next Saturday. My friend and creative partner, Gale have been cranking out our work. (The butterflies are one example of what we've got going on). One thing we're having trouble with is pricing. We don't want to price ourselves out of the show, but we need to make it worth while, too. I'm sure everyone that sells their stuff asks the same questions. This will be our first show together as a team and it is exciting and also scary to think our stuff may be rejected. You really put your heart out in the open for people to tramp all over with art or anything that you create. Oh and by the way, I've created these digital designs with her poetry (please respect our copyright) and I'm trying to come up with some different ways to actually mount them to sell. So far, I've come up with framing them (not so different) and decoupage them to wooden plaques. Anyone have any great ideas that they would be willing to share with me? I'd love hear your thoughts.

We've had I don't know how many days with snow and I am sick of it. I'm ready to get outside and I am more of a fair weather kinda gal. I don't like to get out when it's cold. Now we are looking for another possible winter storm this Sunday. Yuck. I long for the days of late spring and summer. It's days like this that I wish I lived in Hawaii or Fuji or some fantastic place like that.

My fellow blogger friend, Kathryn of SassmowthDesigns mentioned today the One World One Heart being over and all the giveaways that was going on. (I didn't win any either, Kat) I know that I enjoyed the One World One Heart as a spectator and ended up following a whole new bunch of great blogs. I now have so many that I keep up with that I find I am not getting as much done as I want to! Oh well, they are usually such great inspiration that it will pay off. And who can have too many friends, right?

Also, if I have any Florida friends that are in the area of Wolfy's Waterfront Bar n Grill in Sanford, please email me and I'll mail you a gift certificate for there that will expire before I get back down to Florida. I only have one, so if there happens to more than one, I'll put your name in a hat. You've got til this Saturday the 20th to contact me.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime! I love that butterfly print. Very pretty. A sign of summer...we're getting close to a foot of snow right now. The most snow we've had all season. I am ready for flowers now and little birds singing. :) I am friends with Kat, too! You both have a great sense of humor - I'm happy that you know each other. One World One Heart is a great event...I'm very happy I did it. I met a lot of new and exciting creative people. :)
    Talk to you soon! :) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that butterfly print with the poem! I was never a butterfly girl, but then I was introduced to an old Scottish poem that stated the souls of the dead are carried away on the wings of a butterfly. That summer I saw sooo many monarchs it wasn't even funny. Landing on my car windshield, the balcony, my chair beside me, my book. Monarchs make me smile now, so I'm really loving your artwork!
    And I hafta tell ya, Yes, it freaks me out when i lose fans and followers and I wonder what I did that pissed them off LOL. And just so you know, I am *very* animated when I talk hehe. And I write just like I talk, so yes, I do the run on sentences where I completely run out of breath before the end of the story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing :) I love it, I guessed you were working hard for the upcoming show :)

    I wish you all the success in the world.

    Sorry can't be much help on pricing, I'm all over the place with that depending on money invested in each piece, whether there is commission, overheads, I usually price a few certain things low to "Almost guarantee" a sale and then try and get everything else to make a profit usually on a sliding scale. :)

    A lot of it is testing the waters :) T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the butterfly print! ... butterflies are about transformation :) well ... you could mount them on some little canvas and sell them on a mini easel. have you tried image transfers. print them on image transfer papers ( i think they have them in the art stores)and iron on t shirts or aprons, something people can use. also these would make nice journal covers too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luthien, these are fabulous ideas. Thank you!

    T, you have a great strategy. I hadn't thought of that with one lower price item. I will definitely try that.

    thank you all for your nice compliments and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jaime, It's nice to meet you!
    I'm glad you like the flower tutorial thing, I used the same pattern this week on old wallpaper it worked great.

    As for pricing, I'm the worst at that sort of thing.lol I hope you the best of luck at the show and hope you enjoy the time spent there!

    Will talk again soon.
    Have a great day, Lynea

    ReplyDelete
  7. just beautiful..I also agree with Kat, i believe there is a link between the passing of a loved one and butterflies. For myself I think their life cycle is a precious representation of human life.

    Blessings,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, Jamie... that is one beautiful piece of art. The colors are sooooo vibrant and the movement of the butterflies and the text just bring it to life even more! I was going to suggest mounting on canvas, and I see someone else suggested that. And I love the idea of putting these on a T or a bag... I think that would definitely be a sell-able item.

    You are so right about putting your work out there and sometimes it's gets trampled, or goes unnoticed. It's hard when people just glance in at your booth and then walk past. But you gotta just let that roll on off your shoulders. People are drawn to different things and we'll never understand someone else's perspectives or likes/dislikes. But I do believe some folks are bound to love your combined work! Good luck with the show and let us know how it goes!

    And keep your chin up... spring can't be too far off!!

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you are wanting to comment but please know that I have moved my current blog (this is the old host). You can now find me at www.jaimehaney.com/blog and leave a comment there. This very same post is on there, as I have picked up the whole kit and kaboodle and moved it. I hope to see you! Please come by and say howdy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Join the Spooky Fun!